Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It Takes Tutu Tango

Extracurricular activities were a constant in my childhood. I would say starting from age four (swim class) to about age thirteen (retired from martial arts, finally) I was always found myself on the road to my next lesson, class or tutor session.

List no. 3 & 3.5

MY TOP FIVE FAVORITE CHILDHOOD ACTIVITIES
1. Tap dancing (For some reason, tap dancing always made me feel girly but also empowered at the same time, unlike ballet. Ballet just made me feel fat.)
2. Art projects (I attended childrens' art school for a few years and during that time I explored many mediums and ran into so many inspirations. My favorite material I discovered during that time was foil and I was 9.)
3. Swimming (My glorious, most gratifying swim memory was racing my dad off the coast of Maui and for a second forgetting that I was deeply petrified of being attacked by a creature of the sea)
4. Saxophone-ing (I remember my parents having me play as entertainment at their famous dinner parties, I felt like Kenny G with a vagina. Of course, I never sounded like the Master of Sax but I did feel like him, no doubt.)
5. Golfing (Okay, this one I slipped in because I mainly only like the outfits.)


MY TOP FIVE CHILDHOOD ACTIVITIES I STILL CRINGE ABOUT
1. Piano (6 or 7 years down the drain. I don't want to think or talk about it. But this is number one. P.S. Teachers beating their pupils still equals abuse!)
2. Tae Kwon Do (Ok, I secretly love saying to people that I have a black belt and knowing it's the truth. But God, did I loathe Master Yoo yelling at me three times a week. Oh- and the conditioning was too painful)
3. Violin (So it was a short-lived experience, but after a few lessons, my instructor advised my mother to perhaps have me learn how to play piano instead. Apparently she was able to see whether this, then 5 year old, girl was going to be a gifted violinist or not.)
4. Ballet/ Jazz
5. Math tutoring (Is this technically considered an extracurricular? I don't know. I just know that Miss Samantha- despite her friendly mid-90s Mariah Carey-inspired hairdo- was an upright bitch and made me feel dumb on purpose. Looking back, I can recall some of the things she would tell me and now recognize the inappropriate qualities.)


1.
2.
3.

1. Tap shoesies found @ deaconandreggie for Etsy.
2. Swim cap found @ Planetclairevintage for Etsy.
3. Ingenius golf ball wine stopper @ ikcdesign for Etsy.

No comments: