Thursday, June 10, 2010

Budget Martha (I)

So I threw my good friend Jen a graduation party a few weeks ago and was on a very tight budget. Overall I spent less than three hundred dollars to accomodate about twenty people. I decided that this frugal Franny should share with the world some sure-to-please party ideas.

#1. The Drink

I figured that buying several types of beers, wines, spirits, etc would set me back a little so I decided to stick with one staple for the night and make a lovely summer sangria.

Summer Sangria How-To (serves about 8)

What you'll need:

-A big bowl
-Wooden spoon
-Three oranges
-Some sugar
-A little bit of brandy
-Wine (1 bottle; very dry, red & chilled)
-Two lemons
-A few pineapple rings
-Some club soda

-Ice
-About $25-35 depending on how fancy of brandy and wine you chose. I used the generics because the fruits are really the stars in this and will outshine the alcoholic ingredients.


Step one. Slice two oranges into halves and juice 'em.

Step two. Scoop up about 1/2 a cup of sugar and pour (along with the juice and 1/4 a cup of brandy) into your big bowl.

Step three. Mix and stir with your wooden spoon until sugar has dissolved all the way.

Step four. Add wine.

Step five. Slice lemons & orange very, very thinly. Watch those pretty fingers!

Step six. Add lemon and orange slices along with pineapple rings into your big bowl.

Last step. Let your potent potion marinate for six to twelve hours and chill. Before serving, add 2 cups of club soda and ice. Voila!



Okay, stay tuned for recipes for budget party eats.

No comments: